House fire breaks out in Superior

Print Article

A fire broke out in a home in Superior on Jan. 26. Thanks to the quick action from a member of the Superior Volunteer Fire Department, the home only sustained minimal damage. (Photo courtesy of the Superior Volunteer Fire Department).

The quick action from a member of the Superior Fire Department helped to save a home on Thursday, Jan. 26. Calvin Berry was driving by a home on the east side of Superior near Mineral Community Hospital when he noticed smoke coming from inside.

He notified the fire department and two fire trucks responded to the scene at 10:18 a.m. After he had checked inside for animals and people, Berry was instructed by Fire Chief Rob Torrey to close the doors in order to contain the flames.

“Keeping windows and door shut in the case of a fire helps to contain it,” he said. “Sometimes people think that opening a window or door helps, but just the opposite is true. If there’s a sudden influx of oxygen, the fire will immediately grow.”

Nobody was home and no pets were found inside. The fire fighters managed to extinguish the flames within the hour and no injuries were reported.

Upon investigation, it was found that a basket of laundry was too close to an infrared heater and caught fire according to Torrey.

The home was split-level and burned the laundry room and extended into the attic space. The upper level sustained fire and smoke damage. The lower level also had smoke damage. The couple who owned the home were gone when the fire broke out. The woman had taken her dogs to the groomers, and didn’t expect to be gone very long. The man was at work when the incident took place.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration space heaters cause one-third of home heating fires and four out of five home heating fire deaths. Safety tips to avoid fire include leaving a three foot distance between the heater and items such as curtains, furniture, drapes and bedding. Also, never place a heater near water or on top of furniture.

Children should never be left unattended near a space heater and the cord should be placed in a way that prevents tripping. However, cords should not be placed under rugs or carpets. Torrey commented that heat can accumulate in appliance cords and they should be unplugged when not in use.

The safest way to use a space heater is to not leave it unattended. Also getting heaters with timers helps to prevent fires.

Print Article

Read More Local News

Hot Springs PTO put the Christmas in bazaar

December 15, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Clark Fork Valley Press The Hot Springs PTO group brought a lot of Christmas cheer to their annual fundraiser over the weekend. A steady flow of locals all converge at the elementary school to grab some hidden treasures a...

Comments

Read More

Plains slower speed limit proposal passes

December 15, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Clark Fork Valley Press During the recent Plains City Council meeting, Rocky Mountain Surveyor’s Ron Warren requested the city extend the slower speeds leading out of town. With the work of the soon-to-be-new Baldy Tyres s...

Comments

Read More

Remembrance tree added to hospice gala

December 15, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Clark Fork Valley Press The Clark Fork Valley Hospital put on another successful Tree of Life event for their hospice care at the Paradise Center last week. Approximately 50 people converged at the Sanders County Arts Cou...

Comments

Read More

Why Thompson Falls High School stands out to me

December 15, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Clark Fork Valley Press [Editor’s note: Bennette King is the first of three finalists who took part in the Valley Press Reporters Contest. Each finalist was awarded $50 sponsored by Jay Knopp Pro Rodeo Announcing & Auct...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(406) 826-3402
105 W. Lynch
P.O. Box 667
Plains, MT 59859

©2017 Clark Fork Valley Press | Mineral Independent Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X